Sunday, April 18, 2010

Indianapolis Museum of Art

Hannah and I went to the Indianapolis Museum of Art (IMA) yesterday.  Alli and Carrie stayed home with a babysitter, and they thought that was pretty cool, too.  It was so nice to spend a day with just Hannah, and I knew she would appreciate the IMA.  As expected, she had a great time and we have a long list of things to see/do when we go back. 

Me and my sweet, sweet oldest girl in front of IMA.


The artist who created this is Robert Indiana.  He's from Indiana, and IMA holds several of his works, this one being his most recognized. 


He also created this untitled work.  It's the numbers 0-9 randomly placed in this area of the yard.


My 6 year old by the number 6.


:)




Hannah with a Georgia O'Keefe.


and a real Norman Rockwell


This was one of her favorites. 


We weren't supposed to take this picture because the artists of much of the contemporary art are still alive.  This was a room about the size of our dining room and on the floor were lots of these little plastic men holding up a plexi-glass floor.  You could walk on it.  I thought it was funny that Hannah pushed back down on them.


They have a table set up with supplies and an artist who directs the kids to make their own art.  Today was landscape day.


This was one of Hannah's other favorites--the wall.  Nevermind the fact that there are famous paintings and scupltures, and artifacts from before the time of Jesus, she was more impressed with a cool wall.

On our way to the museum, Hannah asked me to tell about when I went to an art museum.  I told her I was a teenager when I went to the Art Institute of Chicago with my hight school art class.  We got to see a Monet exhibit.  I explained that the waterlillies painting was taller than our ceiling and amost as long as our house, and that it's impressionism so the whole painting is tiny brush strokes of different colors that you have to stand back away from to see what the picture is.  blah, blah, blah.  She just let out a sigh and said, "Breathtaking!"  I chuckled to myself at her response and said, "yes it was!"  And she said, "No, just listening to you tell about it is breathtaking!"  Just then we happened to pass a silly restaurant that looked like a steamboat run ashore with rusty palm trees out front.  She pointed and exclaimed, "That's ART!  Is that what the museum will be like?!?" 

No comments: